Sunday, April 05, 2015

A lot done

I've cut and under-coated the pillars
Can of spray paint and three lengths of balsa wood on top of a recycling bin outside a brick house.
 and left them to dry (there'll be no washing around here today!)
Several pieces of spray-painted balsa wood drying on in a laundry, on top  of a washing machine.
Marked out where the pillars will go, and mocked up the furniture I still need to build to see if it will fit where I thought it would go before I start building the final pieces.

I'm a bit concerned that if I put the radiator and water-glass shelf where I originally planned to, no one will be able to get to the bench seat at the table.
Arial view of a modern dolls' house miniatures cafe showing cafe chairs and table, and cardboard cutouts standing in for other pieces.
Things will become clearer once the pillars are in place: which will be at least another two days by my reckoning. But the undercoat should be dry by tomorrow morning, when I can do another test fit before I paint them with the top coat.

Meanwhile, I try the idea of having the radiator and water-glass shelf to the left of the pillar, where there's certainly spare space for them.

Modern dolls' house miniature half-built cafe, showing a radiator with a shelf on it, holding a water jug, glasses and a sugar bowl.
I also remember that the original cafe had a storage cupboard up high on the wall above the table, with an interesting ladder contraption leading to it. I mock up a cardboard version to see how it fits.
Modern dolls' house miniature half-built cafe, showing a wall with a cupboard near the ceiling and a ladder leading to it.
 The scrapbooking paper I bought yesterday works well for the ceiling, which makes me very happy,
Interior view of a modern dolls' house miniautre cafe, showing a black ceiling made of distressed boards.
and I use a piece of the cheap brick paper I bought at Victorian Dollhouses to see how it works below the ceiling (similar to what I spotted while breakfasting at Ona).
Interior view of a modern dolls' house miniautre cafe, showing a black ceiling made of distressed boards and brick walls below it.
Yep, I think I'm getting somewhere...

No comments :