Friday, June 26, 2015

Finish it off Friday: a (w)hole lot of fun

This week I pulled the 'pidgeon' hole unit kit out of my box of unmade kits to work on.
Modern dolls' house miniature laser-cut 'pidgeon' hole kit in packaging.
Components of a  modern dolls' house miniature laser-cut 'pidgeon' hole kit laid out on a work table.
  Because I needed to do a 'quick and dirty' build so I could have it finished to take photos before I lost the light, I decided to do a little experiment. I figured since the kit only cost $4 in the first place, I could afford to potentially mess it up completely...

Could I cover it with printed paper using my Xyron sticker machine? There was only one way to find out.
Pile of scrapbooking paper pads on the floor.
 But first, my lovely assistant and I had to decide which way round I was going to make it.
Dry-built modern dolls' house miniature laser-cut 'pidgeon' hole kit  with dolls' house doll for scale.
Dry-built modern dolls' house miniature laser-cut 'pidgeon' hole kit  with dolls' house doll for scale.
 (That's massively tall, so horizontal it is.)
Components of a  modern dolls' house miniature laser-cut 'pidgeon' hole kit laid out on a piece of scrapbooking paper showing a vintage map of France.
 I decided on a paper that would work with the burned edges of the wood bits
Pieces of scrapbooking paper showing a vintage map of France laid out on a cutting matt with a metal ruler, a knife and a sticker machine.
 and began cutting and stickering. (So far, so good.)
Dry-built modern dolls' house miniature laser-cut 'pidgeon' hole kit  covered in vintage map paper.
 And we have success!*
Modern dolls' house miniature pigeon hole bookcase, covered in paper printed with a vintage map of France. Displayed on it are various French-themed items.
 This is a technique I definitely want to use again in the future...
Close-up of one end of a modern dolls' house miniature pigeon hole bookcase, covered in paper printed with a vintage map of France. Displayed on it are a model Arc de triomphe, cushions with french writing on them and a chicken ornament.
(*Actually, it's only blog finished. I couldn't be bothered faffing around gluing it together then waiting for the glue to dry so the end and top bits are just balanced there...)

5 comments :

m1k1 said...

It gets a thumbs up, from me.

kittyandkatminiatures said...

Oooohs and ahhhhhhhhs. It's beautiful. Might borrow the idea!

otterine said...

I love it!!! :D

Rebecca said...

Terrific! Very effective indeed. Great idea choosing a design that goes with the burnt ends :-)

Kristine PaperDollMiniatures said...

Love this! Looks like something you'd pick up at some boutique shop :) I think you picked the perfect pattern to go with the burned edges. I really am digging that paper...I'm going to try and look for something similar next time I'm out...it could have so many possibilities!