Monday, August 10, 2015

#Frugal15 Week nine

Mosaic of images showing a selection of groceries, three meals and a batch of banana choc chip muffins. The meals are avocado, roasted tomatoes and feta on toast, salad nicoise and lentil sauce on pasta with cheese.
What a difference a plan and a shake-up of the routine makes!

I bought filo pastry, which was used in three dishes, which ended up covering six meals: my favourite potato and pea tarts, a vegetable filo parcel (with mushrooms and brussel sprouts) and filo triangles, which were stuffed with spinach and feta or leftover tuna mix from a salad niçoise I'd made earlier in the week. And lentils made their first appearance during the challenge, in a deliciously hearty lentil tomato sauce, served with pasta and cheese.

And I baked banana choc chip muffins.
Mosaic of images: three showing cafe breakfasts and one showing tickets to a movie and two glasses of wine.
It helped that I had breakfast out three times during the week. (As I said to a fellow frugalista at the last one, being frugal isn't about depriving yourself so you feel hard done by. It's about being mindful about how you choose to spend your money. And this week I chose to use my spending budget on catching up with friends old and new over breakfast. Twice. The third time I was lucky enough to be shouted).

And speaking of shouted, I was offered free tickets to see the new movie Holding the Man at Palace Electric, so shouted a friend a night out at the movies. It's the second free preview I've been to in as many weeks!

3 comments :

Ms Frugal Ears said...

Mindfulness money habits definitely pay off big time!

kittyandkatminiatures said...

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/chia-pudding

I'm newly in love with Chia seeds. Though they aren't cheap, I make this recipe and have 4 breakfasts out of it, so it's decently economical if you bought the seeds at Costco. It fills you without feeling stuffed. And I add raisins at the beginning because I need something sweet and slightly unhealthy.

Have you added Quinoa to your meal mix? You get your protein without having to do meat or beans.

AMCSviatko said...

That sounds delicious: and I haven't explored chia seeds as yet.

Same with quinoa, although I've eaten quinoa salad out a few times when I used to buy my lunch. All the new things to discover...