Friday, November 06, 2015

Scaling up

Yellow dolls' house miniature table with laptop and mug of coffee on it, in front of a blown-up photo of the same items in a dolls' house scene.
I've often wanted to exhibit large photos of my miniature scenes, and the upcoming What's in the Toybox exhibition at Goulburn Regional Art Gallery seems like the perfect place to give it a whirl.

But first, I needed to find out just how large I could go without the image losing too much quality. So this morning I chose a photo of Buzz Bar Cafe (which the curator is keen to have included) and trotted off to Officeworks to do a test print.
A1-sized photo being printed on a large printer.
 I figured A1 was a good testing size, that would also fit within my week's budget. It was incredibly exciting to see the first bit of the photo being printed and realise that it was fine.
A1-sized photo being trimmed on a large guillotine.
Man at a printing shop holding up an A1-sized photo of a dolls' house miniature scene.
The paperwork is due in to the gallery today, so I have to decide quickly how many more photos I want printed, and what my budget will cover in terms of better quality prints and framing...
A1-sized photo of a dolls' house miniature scene in a frame with a 1/12-scale table in front of it..
_________________________________________________________________________
27 November - 24 December 2015
An exhibition of works particularly for children but also suitable for adults in need of a little nostalgia in the lead up to Christmas.  From original book illustrations to colourful sculptures and hand-made wooden toys by local Goulburn Woodworkers, there's something  in the toybox to delight everybody.
Civic Centre, Bourke Street
Goulburn N.S.W.
Tel. 02 4823 4503

Open Monday - Friday 10 am – 5 pm,   Saturday 1 pm – 4 pm  (Closed Sunday and Public Holidays)

2 comments :

otterine said...

How fun! :D

Kristine PaperDollMiniatures said...

I'm so very late commenting on this but I want to send you a huge hug! Whooohooo!! Please take some pictures when it's all up! One of my favourite moments is when you see your scene blown up for the first time, it just becomes so real! Wishing you all the best as you prepare! I always found the resolution and printing part a bit of a headache but it looks like you're going to be just fine. The print looks amazing!! :D