Friday, January 01, 2016

Finish it off Friday: In the can

Modern dolls' house miniature street scene of a wall of street art with a milk crate and spray cans in front of it.
The spray can, that is.

In a Shapeways order before Christmas (how could I not redirect some of my grocery budget when shipping was free?) I bought a milk crate. And when I was wondering what today's Finish it off Friday challenge would be I remembered this photo I took at Lyneham shops a couple of months ago and instagrammed:
Man spray painting street art on a wall.
and the 3D-printed spray paint can kit I bought at last year's AMEA Convention:
Components of a 3D-printed modern dolls' house miniature spray can kit.
I figured it would be a suitably gentle return to Finish it off Friday.

So I spray painted the cans silver.
Four modern dolls' house miniature spray cans, painted silver.
 Removed the lids from their printing base (a nasty job, which was followed by much sanding to try and make the lid tops flat.)
Four modern dolls' house miniature spray can lids, removed from their printing mat.
 I spray painted the lids various colours.
Four modern dolls' house miniature spray can lids, painted black, yellow and blue.
 And when I'd removed the cans from their printing base and sanded them, came up with an ingenious solution to hold them steady while painting the bases...
Four modern dolls' house miniature spray cans, poked into the bottom of an egg carton, ready for spray painting.
Four modern dolls' house miniature spray cans, poked into the bottom of an egg carton and  spray painted.
And in case you're beady-eyed enough to notice that there were four spray cans in the kit and only three in the scene, this is what I did with the missing one:
Modern dolls' house miniature bottle of olive oil spray on a bench next to a stovetop.
Yes, I know the label is a bit dodgy but I couldn't be bothered creating a better one from scratch. Perhaps I'll do that later today. Or perhaps I'll collapse on the sofa with a book and a glass of wine...

No comments :