Thursday, January 02, 2014

California design, miniature inspiration

So, finally, some photos of the pieces in the California Design 1930-1965: Living in a Modern Way exhibition for your inspiration and edification...

First up, Richard Neutra's chair from the Channel Heights Housing Project (1941-42):
(And look! Here's Neutra’s 'recipe' for constructing it, just in case anyone's wanting to whip up a miniature version... *WEG*)

Next up, a chair designed by Charles Eames, Eero Saarinen, and Marli Ehrman in 1940 for the Organic Design in Home Furnishings competition:
(Much harder to create in miniature...)

Speaking of Greta Grossmann, the next piece that caught my eye was her 3 panel folding screen for Glenn of California, which would be fun to create in miniature:
And the final piece for today. I loved this coffee table by Milo Baughman (also for Glenn of California):
(Especially the little hidey-hole to store the junk on your coffee table when unexpected visitors arrived)

And I just have to say here that I'm still really sad that Modernism Magazine has died. That magazine taught me a lot about things I had no idea I was interested in until I started reading the article in the magazine...


1 comment :

Pepper said...

Mwahahah, you don't miss a trick do you? Yup, totally took the inspiration from the Grashoppa lamp =0D