Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Starting at the end

Yesterday's mail brought me this beautifully stitched black and white lattice cushion, from Judy Foster in New Zealand (and also some Whittakers L&P mini bars, but that's a different story...)
Modern miniature scene of a black and white lattice-embroidered cushion on a black and white chevron sofa against a wall with large black and white stripes. In the right corner is a red black and white mid-century modern flowered cushion.
Judy had been inspired to stitch a range of black and white geometric cushions after I'd facebooked a link to the Typo launch of their new Hall homewares range
Facebook post pointing to Typo's homeware range launch blog post.
and had let me chose one as a thank you.

Since I'm off work today with a dodgy tum, I decided it was high time I made a scene (can you believe it's been almost six months? I blame winter plus being sidetracked by Margell School and The tiny Times), using my new cushion as inspiration.

I originally wanted to make a bedroom scene but realised that the chevron fabric I'd planned to use (from a scrap bag picked up from Addicted to Fabric one lunchtime many months ago) was too short. So I used it to recover one of my day beds instead. I made the red cushions from another scrap of fabric from the same bag, and the wall is an IKEA placemat I bought in March.
Modern miniature black white and red scene of a day bed with cushions next to a table displaying a model London bus and vases.
Modern miniature black white and red scene of a day bed with cushions next to a table displaying a model London bus, vases, books and a plant. A large red lightshade hangs from above and a white flokati rug is on the floor.
The light shade is a bell off a Typo alarm clock (of course) and  the rug is from my stock.
Modern miniature black table displaying a model London bus, vases, books and a plant in black, white and red.
On the side table (a gift from Elvira) is a London bus from an op shop haul almost a year ago, a bead from stock, a vase made by Ann from Victorian Dollhouses, a fern (from the 2012 ACT Miniature Enthusiats Show) and three books (two made by me).

It feels like something you'd find featured in MidCentury magazine...

2 comments :

m1k1 said...

I'm sure the dodgy tum had nothing whatsoever to do with the Whittakers.

Neomig said...

love the black white red palette.
neomi